This blog is a collection of the messages of support sent out via e-mail or posted on the web since the diagnosis of Rick's brain cancer. There are links to music, lyrics to songs, scripture passages, prayers, and more.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Rejoicing in his whole world

Proverbs 8

30 Then I was constantly at his side.
I was filled with delight day after day,
   rejoicing always in his presence, 
31 rejoicing in his whole world
   and delighting in mankind.

"But sometimes the job of a prophet is not to discern right and wrong but to point God’s people to joy. To remind us that our God delights in us.  To remind us of our true home.  Remember Proverbs 8?  Sophia, the Wisdom of God is described at the creation of the world as rejoicing in the inhabited world
 and delighting in the human race.
I want the day to come when Christians are described not as judgmental but as those who, like the Wisdom of God, rejoice in the world and delight in humanity.  
Which makes me wonder: What would it be like to rather than judging the supposed imperfection of your body, to experience the joy of being a beautiful perfect creation, made in the image of God? What would it be like, rather than judging the unhealthy grocery cart contents of the lady behind me in line at Safeway, to instead experience the joy of seeing Christ’s own face in her countenance.  What would it be like to, rather than judging the political or religious correctness of every person, institution, and event to instead experience the joy of God’s kingdom breaking in on us all.  I don’t know for sure.  But I’m game to try and find out. I want to choose happy.  And leave being right to God and God alone."
Nadia Bolz-Weber 

No comments:

Post a Comment