The Great Adventure
Andrew Peterson
"God is at home. We are in the far country."- Meister Eckhart
I read that quote in an Annie Dillard book several years ago and it never left me. Too often we tend to imagine that heaven is a cotton-white cloudscape, a place that doesn't seem desirable to us here in this sometimes beautiful, sometimes horrifying world. We're comfortable here, and the skewed notion we have of eternity is that it's like a never-ending church service, where we'll be standing mindlessly around a throne, singing bad praise songs to a white-haired God for the rest of our existence.
From what I know about God, what I've read of [God] in scripture and what I've seen of [God] in what has been made--towering mountains, howling wind, purple budded trees, a baby's touch and a panther's roar--[God] is not a tame God.
The City prepared for us is not a retirement home. Zion is not a country club. Death is but the cusp of a great adventure.
Source: The Far Country (CD)
No comments:
Post a Comment